Our name and logo are reflective of the early trade history of the Great Lakes Region and our Scottish Heritage. We are located in northwestern Michigan, just a short distance from historic places like Fort Michilamackinac and Mackinac Island. The Straits of Mackinac experienced settlement by Europeans in 1671. Just a short time later, French soldiers constructed Fort Michilimackinac in 1708, as a depot to support the fur trade. As the fur trade grew in North America, the Straits region became a trading hub.
Around the same time, Scots began migrating to North America. Political and religious differences, the Highland Clearances and famine caused many to leave their homeland. The Scots soon played a prominent role in the North American fur trade, as they became influential managers and traders within the “Trading Company”.
Our name, Highland Trading Company, is reflective of the early companies established by traders in this region. Our logo is fashioned after the traditional Clan belt, symbolizing our Scottish Heritage. And in the center, the silhouette of a Scottish Quaich, or drinking cup, also known as the “Cup of Friendship”. We have forged many lifelong friendships in the Highland Community, and look forward to making new ones as well.
The Highland Trading Company logo is a Registered Service Mark.